"Very confident" four-year-olds outsmart hunters and protect their clan.
Just days after a poacher’s snare had killed one of their own, two young mountain gorillas worked together Tuesday to find and destroy traps in their Rwandan forest home, according to conservationists on the scene.
"This is absolutely the first time that we’ve seen juveniles doing that … I don’t know of any other reports in the world of juveniles destroying snares," said Veronica Vecellio, gorilla program coordinator at the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund's Karisoke Research Center, located in the reserve where the event took place.
"We are the largest database and observer of wild gorillas … so I would be very surprised if somebody else has seen that," Vecellio added.
Every day trackers from the Karisoke center comb the forest for snares, dismantling them to protect the endangered mountain gorillas, which the International Fund for Nature (IUCN) says face “a very high risk of extinction in the wild.”
On Tuesday tracker John Ndayambaje spotted a trap very close to the Kuryama gorilla clan. He moved in to deactivate the snare, but a silverback named Vubu grunted, cautioning Ndayambaje to stay away, Vecellio said.
Suddenly two juveniles—Rwema, a male; and Dukore, a female; both about four years old—ran toward the trap.
As Ndayambaje and a few tourists watched, Rwema jumped on the bent tree branch and broke it, while Dukore freed the noose.
The pair then spied another snare nearby—one the tracker himself had missed—and raced for it. Joined by a third gorilla, a teenager named Tetero, Rwema and Dukore destroyed that trap as well.
The speed with which everything happened makes Vecellio, the gorilla program coordinator, think this wasn’t the first time the young gorillas had outsmarted trappers.
"They were very confident," she said. "They saw what they had to do, they did it, and then they left."
Silverbacks in the Kuryama group have occasionally been caught in the snares, so Vecellio thinks the juveniles would have known the traps are dangerous.
"That’s why they destroyed them," Vecellio said.
- frostfortytwo reblogged this from scullysdesk
- d-pi likes this
- dr-loggins reblogged this from oldthunder and added:
- tsmscrittercuteness reblogged this from oldthunder
- thanksomuch likes this
- oldthunder reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes and added:
- frostfortytwo likes this
- scullysdesk reblogged this from themonicabird
- callmehobbet reblogged this from themonicabird
- jackofalnerdom reblogged this from themonicabird
- monbonica reblogged this from themonicabird
- doublemerde reblogged this from themonicabird
- nerdymexican likes this
- coffeeandashotofcynicism reblogged this from themonicabird
- ta11jeff reblogged this from themonicabird
- cinnamon-strawberry reblogged this from themonicabird
- theshipswillsink reblogged this from themonicabird
- layeredwithsurprises reblogged this from themonicabird
- timef0rachange reblogged this from themonicabird
- suburbandystopia reblogged this from themonicabird
- themonicabird reblogged this from sidewalkbeat
- themonicabird likes this
- alliieennss likes this
- kboftw reblogged this from togivelifeameaning
- fuckyeahilike reblogged this from bactaqueen and added:
- fuckyeahilike likes this
- whosalexkenchel likes this
- bactaqueen reblogged this from nonpolarcovalent
- bactaqueen likes this
- dorable likes this
- olduvaigorge likes this
- sidewalkbeat reblogged this from sharenitynow and added:
- slamminbananas likes this
- cancerninja likes this
- nonpolarcovalent reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes
- deborahliz likes this
- eskilism likes this
- african-sun reblogged this from togivelifeameaning
- lost-carcosa reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes
- gohelengo likes this
- imrebellingontheinside reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes
- imrebellingontheinside likes this
- togivelifeameaning reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes
- nonchalantjon likes this
- whyamiawakewtfisthis reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes
- idomycrosswordsinpen reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes and added:
- sharenitynow likes this
- sharenitynow reblogged this from fyeahgreatapes and added:
- fyeahgreatapes posted this