Orangutan at Chester Zoo
Every week we look at a different endangered species.
Week of Jan.6-Jan.12
The name Orangutan means “man of the forest” in the Malay language. There are 2 species of Orangutan. Bornean and Sumatran, and they only differ a little in appearance and behavior. They are endangered, combined there is about 48500 left in the wild.
- Orangutans can weigh up to 200 pounds.
- They share 96.4% of their genes with humans!
- They are highly intelligent creatures.
- They are the “gardeners of the forest”
- A mother only gives birth every 3-5 years.
Much of the decline of the species is due to their slow reproductive rate, as well as, deforestation, hunting and illegal trade of young, and illegal trade of orangutan skull.